Renovation Subsidies in Tyrol
Renovation Subsidies in Tyrol
- 1 Renovations eligible for subsidy
- 2 Building services – energy supply
- 3 Applicants
- 4 Types of support and eligible costs
- 5 Subsidized cost for the renovation
- 6 The process
Renovations eligible for subsidy
Regardless of the building’s age
- adding rooms to a dwelling; division of a dwelling; enlargement of a dwelling
- turning other rooms into dwelling
- adapting a dwelling for an elderly or disabled people
- connection to district heating
Building permit older than 10 years
- thermal protection
- measures to reduce the energy loss, the energy consumption and pollution emissions from heating and hot water treatment systems
- installation of energy saving heating systems
- erection or renovation of fireplaces/chimneys
- further environmentally-friendly measures
- noise and moisture protection
Building permit older than 20 years
- roof renovation
- installation of sanitary facilities and electrical systems, when such are not present
Requirements in connection to the building Building’s size The structural seclusion of the dwelling(s) must be sought. In case of division the area must be at least (minimum) 30 m2. In case of extension the maximum area of 150 m2 must not be exceeded. Thermal protection A prerequisite for the subsidy in connection to the thermal protection measures and the extension of a building is the achievement of the following U-values. Renovation of a building component – the following U-Values have to be achieved:
|Building component||U-Value [W/m2K]|
|Roof or ceiling (to outside and roof attics)||U < 0.18 W/m2K|
|External Walls (to outside and roof attics)||U < 0.25 W/m2K|
|Floors, Walls (to basements or soil)||U < 0.35 W/m2K|
|Windows (changing the glass and the frame)||Uw < 1.35 W/m2K|
|Windows (changing the glass only)||Ug ≤ 1.10 W/m2K|
Building services – energy supply
When renovating the heating system or heating supply system it is a subsidy requirement to install a innovative climate-relevant systems. These include for example:
- Biomass heating system
- Heating pump for heating purposes with ground or ground water as a heating source
- Heating pump for heating purposes with air as a heating source
- District heating (from RES, waste heat)
- Partly natural gas-fired boilers in combination with thermal solar installation (first installation, replacement)
The installation of a biomass heating system is also eligible for subsidy. For small heating boiler (with heating capacity ≤ 400 kW) the following parameter criteria (by nominal load) must be met: Energy conversion efficiency: minimum 85% Emissions limit values in mg/MJ:
|Boiler, Space heating||CO||NOx||OGC||Dust|
|with automatic loading|
|Boiler, Wood chips||150||120||5||30|
|with manual loading|
Note: Dust and NOx should be measured according to ÖNORM EN 303-5.
For fixed masonry-heaters or storage heaters in form of single stoves or central heating the abovementioned emission limit values are not decisive (essential). Energy conversion efficiency of 85% has to be provided. An electrical heat pump for heating purposes with ground or groundwater as a heat source (main heating distribution with low temperature under 45°C) is considered innovative climate-relevant system if the Seasonal Performance Factor (SPF) is ≥ 4. The proof of the Heating Seasonal Performance Factor is to be delivered via the programme “JAZcalc”. The programme is available on http://www.tirol.gv.at/wohnbau. The heat pump has to be equipped with heat and electricity meters, whose proper performance has to be confirmed with acceptance form (F 87). A heat pump for heating with air as a heat source (main heating distribution with low temperature under 35°C) is considered innovative climate-relevant system if the building it is used in has an area of max. 300 m2 and the heating demand is max. 25 kWh/m2a. The heat pump has to be equipped with heat and electricity meters, whose proper performance has to be confirmed with acceptance form (F 87). The installation (first installation, replacement) of a gas-fired boiler or (derogation from the principle of the use of the innovative climate-relevant system) or the replacement (not first installation) of old heating systems or boilers (using liquid fossil fuels) with oil-fired boiler could be subsidized if:
- is combined with solar panels
- for buildings which still have not been thermally renovated, an energy performance certificate with appropriate recommendations is submitted
- there is no possibility of connection to district heating and
- due to air-pollution control and lack of supply possibilities and/or storage facilities the use of biogenic fuels is not possible or not economically reasonable.
In case there is not enough solar radiation and the installation of solar panels is not possible or economically-disadvantageous, it is not necessary for this condition to be fulfilled. With these measures the subsidy is increased by 3 pp (percentage points), is a heating demand according to the Eco bonus, Eco level 1 is proven. The fulfillment of the subsidy requirements have to be proven by the applicant.
Comfort ventilation with heat recovery
A comfort ventilation with heat recovery is eligible if there is a present supply and exhaust air system with centralized, decentralized or there is an individual ventilation unit in each dwelling (and not a single fan), there is a heat recovery and the following requirements are fulfilled:
- air electrical power consumption ≤ 0,45 W/m3h
- heat recovery rate > 75% according to PHI measuring methods (PHI=Passive House Institute) or > 70% according to EN 13141-7, or > 84% according to DIBt method (DIBt=The Center of Competence in Civil Engineering)
- air volume adapted to the requirements according to ÖNORM H 6038 (Ventilation Systems – Controlled Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery for Apartments – Design, Installation, Testing, Operation and Maintenance)
- Sound level < 25dB (A)
- Outside air filter minimum F7, exhaust air filter minimum G4 acc. DIN EN 779
- Inlet air temperature > 17°C
The professional implementation and performance of the system has to be confirmed by Acceptance form (F88). A list of the eligible for subsidy comfort ventilation systems is available at http://www.komfortlüftung.at.
Other building requirements
- The subsidized measures must be carried out using standard equipment. In cases when there is a possible economical use of public funds, the costs of certain measures (e.g. for a window replacement, dwelling extension, lack of bathroom, shutters, blinds etc.) is taken into account when determining the subsidy only in the sense of the standard equipment acknowledged as reasonable. Subsidies for other points (e.g. for sound protection measures on or for dwellings next to highways) are reducing the funding in the calculation for the eligible for subsidy costs, unless these measures have met the requirements in the points, eligible for additional subsidies. Soundproof windows will only be funded if they have a sound reduction of at least 38 dB. Insurance benefits are deducted.
- The used building materials must not release during the life-cycle of the building any climate-damaging halogenated gases in the atmosphere (Haloalkane, Chlorofluorocarbon, Chlorodifluoromethane or Sulfur hexafluoride).
- During the renovation project the condition of the whole building must be taken into account. The probable useful economic life of the building should be economically reasonable. The expected increase of the rent must also be justifiable and reasonable for the local market.
- In case of establishment or readjustment of central heating system, to which are connected at least 2 dwellings, they must be equipped with devices that at least approximately record/register the heating demand per dwelling.
- An electrical heating will be subsidized only in exceptional cases (e.g. in inversions when adapting a dwelling for an elderly or disabled people) and no alternative heating opportunity is available.
- Dwellings or residential homes, whose renovation requires considerable expenditures, must have after the completion of the refurbishment contemporary equipment and facilities, especially with connection to the energy supply, water supply and sewage disposal.
- The financing of the renovation measures expenses must be ensured.
- A subsidy for the expansion of a dwelling will only be paid without simultaneous renovation (in advance?) when the eligible for funding area of the extension is at least 10 m2.
Requirements in connection to the residents General requirements
- Applicants must announce the residents of the dwellings to be rehabilitated (stating the names, professions and addresses).
- The dwelling should be main residence for the inhabitants (all-year-long regular use)
- The granting of renovation subsidy is for a limited period of time irrespective of the applicants’ income, specifically for application submitted by 31.12.2014.
A subsidy is granted to the owner or to the one who is entitled to issue permits for construction on the property. When renovating one dwelling a subsidy is granted to the tenant, who lives in the dwelling and the apartment owner or co-owner. For a provision of guarantee from the state (Land) for a capital marker credit, necessary for financing can apply exclusively tenants. They must have Austrian citizenship or acc. to § 17a TWFG 1991 should be equally treated.
Types of support and eligible costs
The subsidy consists of: -Granting of annuity subsidy or -Granting of one time subsidy, as well as -Provision of guarantee The amount of funding is determined by the dwelling area and the household size, where the higher the number of people living in the future household (the applicant and their family), the more eligible for funding floor space. Subsidy will be provided depending on the nature of the project, on the basis of the proven costs or as a fixed amount per m² floor space eligible for funding. For farmers can be paid off in the form of lump-sum payment. The subsidy depends on the type of financing of the project: With bank credit – annuity subsidy The state grants for the implementation of eligible for funding renovation measures to: -Owner -Tenant
Annuity subsidy to a credit
The basic subsidy is 25% from the initial cost burden (credit’s annuity) of the credit (minimum duration 10 years). This is in case no higher subsidy is provided from Table 3. The amount of the credit can be at most equal to the amount of the total costs eligible for subsidy (förderbaren Gesamtbaukosten). The annuity subsidy is calculated on the basis of the interest rate at the moment of the application, paid off twice a year for a maximum of 12 years. If the credit’s duration is more than 12 years, then the annuity subsidy is calculated on the basis of fictive duration of 12 years.
For the calculation of the original annuity is used the borrowing rate at the time of the adjustment (January 1, April 1, July 1 or October 1), preceding the date of the application. If the application is made at the date of the adjustment (January 1, April 1, July 1 or October 1), the interest rate at this moment is decisive.
Annuity subsidy will only be granted if the financing of the project is through credit from a Building society or other credit with duration of at least 10 years. The interest rate of this other credit must be maximum 1.75 percent points more than the 3-months-Euribor rounded to the second decimal place. It must be agreed that adjustments to the interest rate is done every year on January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1.
With own funds – one time subsidy
The state grants for the implementation of eligible for funding renovation measures to:
One-time subsidy for financing with own funds
The basic subsidy is 15% of the eligible for subsidy total construction cost, if the financing of the renovation measures is done with own funds. This is in case no higher subsidy is provided from Table 3. Increased subsidy for energy saving and environmentally-friendly measures
|Renovation measure||Annuity subsidy in %||One time subsidy in %|
|Sound and thermal protection|
|e.g. insulation, windows||35||25|
|insulation from renewable resources (cork, hemp)||40||30|
|Heating systems – Building services|
|connection to biomass district heating, district heating from waste heat||40||30|
|geothermal heat pump||35||25|
|controlled ventilation system with heat recovery||35||25|
|comfort ventilation system||40||30|
The subsidy depends on the size of the collectors and boilers (buffer volume, hot water storage tank). Existing solar systems (collectors, buffer) are taken into account in the calculation of funding. The subsidy of solar systems for hot water (and heating) is made on the basis of the documented with receipts costs. The collectors eligible for funding must have a product certification with a seal of approval from a recognized testing laboratory acc. to “Solar-Keymark” guidelines or acc. to “Austria-Solar”. A list of approved collector types is available at http://www.solarkeymark.org.
The subsidy consists (for every subsidized dwelling) of maximum 700 €/m2 collector aperture area and 50 l capacity, a total of maximum 7000 € of the eligible for subsidy total construction cost (supported credit amount). If the solar panels serve for space heating (support the space heating system), the amount is increased to 14,000 € from the eligible for subsidy total construction cost. The solar panels must be equipped with a heat meter, whose proper execution have to be confirmed by acceptance form (F 89).
Solar panels for hot water will be subsidized with maximum 2,100 Euro per dwelling/apartment, for solar panels that also support the space heating the subsidy is increased to 4,200 Euro per dwelling/apartment.
Subsidy Eco Bonus for complete (deep) thermal energy renovation
The renovation must include if possible the entire building envelope and minimum three of the following: facade, windows, insulating the ground (basement) floor, insulating the roof (uppermost floor deck), installation of climate-relevant system). The subsidy is in the form of one time subsidy on the basis of the improvement of the heating demand (comparison of the heating demands before and after the renovation)
Maximum annual heating demand per m2 of conditioned gross floor area (HDGFA), depending on the geometry (the value of lc=1/(A/V), where A is the area of the thermal envelope and V is the conditioned volume – and based on the reference climate according to OIB-Guideline (heating degreeday : 3,400 Kd/a). The heating demand depends on lc should be interpolated linearly between the given values. In buildings with ventilation system with heat recovery the maximum allowed HDGFA is reduced (only) in the Eco level 1, by 8 kWh/m2a.
|HDGFA in kWh/m2a||HDGFA in kWh/m2a|
|Eco level||A/V ≥ 0,8||A/V ≤ 0,2|
The calculation of the heating requirement has to be done under the provisions of the Tyrolean Building Regulations 2011. The aforementioned U-Values are not decisive.
-Submission of heating requirement calculations (incl. plans and calculation basis).
-The application for the Eco bonus is done simultaneously with the application for the residential building renovation, no later than the time of final settlement.
The amount of the subsidy depends on the Eco level, the floor space with and the level of improvement of the heating demand (HDGFA before the renovation and HDGFA after the renovation).
|Eco level 1||Eco level 1||Eco level 2||Eco level 2||Eco level 3||Eco level 3|
|Improvement level||Improvement level||Improvement level||Improvement level||Improvement level||Improvement level|
|≥ 50%||≥ 50%||≥ 50%||≥ 50%||≥ 50%||≥ 50%|
|Floor area ≤ 300 m2||€ 3,300||€ 4.400||€ 4.950||€ 6.600||€ 6.600||€ 8.800|
|Floor area > 300 ≤ 1000 m2||€ 5,500||€ 7.700||€ 8.250||€ 11.000||€ 11.000||€ 15.400|
|Floor area > 1000 m2||€ 8,250||€ 11.000||€ 12.100||€ 15.950||€ 16.500||€ 22.000|
Subsidy for quality renovation
Building renovations with particularly high level of planning, execution, and energy and environmental quality will have an additional subsidy, if they have they reach the Eco level 3 and the requirements of the klima:aktiv house or corresponding building certification systems (e.g. Passive House (PHI), Total Quality Building, Austrian Society for Sustainable Building). The proof must be provided via certificate by an independent, authorized institution. The funding will be provided in the form of a one-time subsidy in the following amount:
|Floor area ≤ 300 m2||€ 1,000|
|Floor area > 300 ≤ 1000 m2||€ 1,500|
|Floor area > 1000 m2||€ 2,000|
Subsidized cost for the renovation
Owner – maximum 700 Euro/m2 subsidized area
Tenant – maximum 21,000 Euro
Lower limit 1,000 Euro
Max. 18 months after the invoice date (receipt’s date) for the renovation measures Subsidy guarantee Issue after State’s positive answer to the application
Payment Annuity subsidy
-with the beginning of the bank’s loan repayment, no earlier than the submission of the loan guarantee
One time subsidy
-right after the submission of the loan guarantee